Thursday, June 2, 2016

Missrepresentation

 In my class critical thinking, we finished the documentary called Missrepresentation. I really liked this documentary because if it's perspective and outlook on women in media. It's something that I've seen and I know it's a relevant, but just hard to accept into my society where  so many people seem to be encouraging of "the true self." I know i bring this up a lot, but on Twitter I've noticed a common trend of users telling other people to be themselves and to be who they are. But once people except to the yard and attempt to pursue their dreams, they are put into boxes and criticized.  And it's just not fair for men and women.
Female expectations are so outrageous and unfair these days. We are set to a different standard then men, because it is an old habit. why must women always be a joke or a burden? We are expected to be all these great and impossible things all at once and it's unfair for women who redefine that standard. Women that don't complete the standard  are looked at as odd, and are even discriminated by males. The more I identify it, the more upset I get.
An example of this would be on Jimmy Kimmel's tv show. I watch it sometimes, not regularly, but when I do try and look for the segment "meet the animals!" I used to be a really big Animal Planet fan, so I enjoy when Dave Salmoni brings out animals.  But something I've noticed in recent shows, is Jimmy making fun of himself for not being masculine enough to hold the animals. And then he feels embarrassed that women come out to take the animals. This doesn't have a huge connection the Missrepresentation, but I do think it is relevant in the fact that women are treated like this and put on television.
Connected to the Jimmy Kimmel Tv show segment, the media and important figure or role models need to be more informed and aware of sexual comments. Feminist degrading words are so over used that it almost appears to be funny if a women is better then a man. It's unfair to assume these things, so in order to fix what we have broken, I believe the media needs to learn how to censor these very rude, sexist comments.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed very similar things. There is a cognitive dissonance within gender roles of media. On one hand, everyone is encouraged to be themselves. On the other hand, everyone is also judging one another. This crisis has spread to almost all aspects of media, such as the Jimmy Kimmel Show that you mentioned. At least it's comforting to see other people noticing the issue, and hopefully we can all do something to stop it.

    ReplyDelete