Tuesday, May 10, 2016

"Why do people cry during songs??"

 My sister had once asked me this question, and it really stuck with me.  I can understand why sad or soppy videos make people cry, but songs seem as if they wouldn't effect people that much.  But I am mistaken audio is very powerful.  It is probably because I do cry during songs.  There is a small list I have to say, when I really listen to the lyrics and the beat I get the "feelies."  My soccer team actually made fun of me because I was staring out the window and everybody thought I was listening to Drake, but oh no. I was listening to Carrie Underwood's "Temporary Home."  And having my friends laugh at me as I was dwelling up with tears got me to thinking: why does this song make me feel this way?  Here is a list of 12 songs that give me "feelies" or whatever, in no particular order:
1) Temporary Home- Carrie Underwood
2) 7 years- Lukas Graham
3) You are not alone- Into the Woods Cast
4) Young and Beautiful- Lana Del Ray
5) Chasing Cars- Snowpatrol
6) The Last Time- Taylor Swift ft: Gary Lightbody
7) Can't Help Falling in Love- Haley Reinhart
8) The Scientist- Coldplay
9) Stay- Rihanna
10) Valerie- Amy Winehouse
11) Butterfly Kisses- Bob Carlisle
12) Somewhere over the Rainbow- IZ
I feel that I missed some songs, I may have to update this list in the future.  This is a fairly hefty list, but what can I say I am an emotional person.  I think a lot of it has to do with the state I am in while I listen to the songs, like a really sappy state.  While I feel upset about something I am the type or person that has to deal with their issue right then and there.  And some of the songs gets me every time.  The song Chasing Cars I mean wow I have to prepare for a flood that song gets me so good.  This is because I first heard this song on Grey's Anatomy, the episode Danny dies, and every time I hear this song it just takes me back.  Most of the songs connect me to an exact emotion or feeling when I first heard the song.  Alot of times it's not actually the song, but what is going on else where in my life.  So beware when you hit shuffle if you are feeling upset, because sometimes your playlist can snake you and hit you with a sad song instead of a pump up song.   It's happened before, it's treacherous.

1 comment:

  1. Very good article. Do you ever think that you could have hypersensitivity? I know I have it, too, and people with hypersensitivity tend to cry during songs. Apparently, crying during songs is really not a common behavior (I didn't know this until like two weeks ago, I do it all the time). Regardless, I found it pretty cool that you contemplate your life on such an emotional level and that you can feel so much emotion. Great read.

    ReplyDelete